The Pastry Cream
Still a basic pastry, it is available in cream diplomat (with whipped cream), cream mousseline (with butter), Cream chibouste (with Italian meringue). We will review the uses, a video on the method of making the basic pastry cream, all recipes, manufacturing processes, and mistakes to avoid!
- Heat the milk with the split vanilla pod in 2
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
- Add cornstarch to the sugar mixture, whisk well to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- Add the boiling milk in 3 times, taking care to mix correctly between each one, especially at the first.
- Return to the heat (low / medium), whisk continuously vigorously 2 minutes after boiling.
- Put the pastry cream in a container, plastic wrap on contact ( avoid to get a skin ) , cool as soon as possible ( avoid bacteria devellopment ) .
- Whisk before using in order to make it smooth.
Here is the vidéo for you to see the progess:
- Add the gelatine at the end of cooking the pastry cream, cooldown
- Use the wisk in order to make the cream smooth.
- Add the whipped cream when it is around 32 °
- Allow to cool and then use ( pipe )
- Add half of the butter at the end of making the pastry curd.
- Make the cream smooth with the wisk, add the rest of the butter ( pommade ) wisk well and use.
Trouble possible: My cream look sh… ! it’s a very common problem, the fat got separates.
If that happen is just mean your cream was to cold, or the butter not warm enough, the best would be to mix with the wisk in the kitchen aid, and heat the bowl with a burner gently until the cream look smooth and whipe. if you don’t have those equipment, take 1/4 of the cream, heat in the microwave then put it back and wisk again. It can be a delicate operation, too hot is going to be liquid, to cold it get separate. You better do not heat to much and heat again if you realize it still doesn’t work.
The process is thus to obtain the best possible result efficiently. Bake 2 min after boiling is the basis of hygiene. Film your pastry cream on contact to avoid any skin. Cool as soon as possible to avoid microbial growth. Note that the amount of sugar can vary according to the tastes and the amount of yellow depending on the desired consistency.
What to use for ?
- The pastry cream is most often used to garnish pastry choux, pie shells (as above) and also the famous mille-feuille.
- The diplomat froze very well, it can be used as a foam for an entremet / molded cakes or other, some confectioner uses it for the tropezienne. Use for pie, rather than the pastry cream, it is lighter 🙂
- The mousseline one is also used to garnish the choux, but also for the strawberry,the mille-feuilles and big size macarron ( the fat avoid to make the biscuit wet )
Mistake to avoid ?
EH well I can already advise you to make your pastry cream well with a wisk !
Anecdote: I did not know anything about pastry ( we talk about almost 10 year ago ! ) , to appear a little less weak I wanted to train at home to the basics. I tried to cook my pastry cream with a spoon! Let me tell you that is was uneatable !
If you have lumps:
Make sure to wisk the mixture yellow + sugar + cornstarch with the boiling milk in 3 times and mix well especially after the first!
When you are cooking your pastry cream, set the average fire to gentle. With the power of inductions now, for this amount of recipe I cook the pastry cream to the minimum.
This is a small summary of basic cream, do not hesitate to share if you know someone who wants to learn or who is a little lost in all these creams!
You have also some information about what to do if your mousseline got separates, is in the Mousseline chapter ! 🙂
Thank you for reading this article and next week for a new video;)