How to make a Brioche ?! How to get a nice brioche, airy, fluffy, a good taste of butter + a beautiful color ?! It can be as easy to succeed as to miss it, not enough airy, a taste of yeast, too dry! Errors are easy so here are all the keys to a successful Brioche!
- 250 g Strong flour
- 6 g salt
- 50 g sugar
- 10 g fresh yeast
- 50 g milk
- 2 eggs (fresh)
- 125 g butter (cold)
- Grain Sugar
- Mix everything by hand or Hook except the butter and knead for 5min.
- Add the butter ( cold ) cut into cubes, and knead until the dough comes off from the edge of the bowl, or your hands (but it is always soft and a little sticky) ( The dough might not go over 24°C and that step can be a bit long, like 20 min, courage ! )
- Let the dough rest at the room temperature for 30 min, then press it in order to remove the gas inside. Cover with a humid clothe and leave it in the fridge ( 2 hours at least, the best is overnight ).
- You can now give the shape you wish to the dough, de video bellow show you some examples.
- Allow to double in volume (2 hours at 25 ° ideally)
- Egg wash the Brioche with love and carefully( egg + milk 50/50 )
- Sprinkle with sugar crystal ( very important for texture and the sweetness, is not on the video, and this is a mistake )
- Bake at 180 ° for classic size ( individual size ) , 160 ° for large pieces.
- Check the cooking with a knife planted in the center, it must come out clean!
And the little video that goes with:
Working the dough develops the gluten (which is why a strong flour is used) contained in the flour and makes it elastic ( wich will allow the dough to proof later )
If your brioche gets a yeast taste, it means that either it has raised too much, or the quality of your yeast is bad ( I used dry yeast in the video, unfortunately I am in New Zealand, impossible to find the fresh one, but I strongly recommend the fresh yeast, it is so much better). To have often use biological, I never had problem, however, with a dehydrated (not a pro) I met problems. It is then necessary to choose a dehydrated yeast of good quality.
What you should not do ?
Do not add flour, patience, the dough will come off from the edge of the bowl !
I cheated when I was an apprentice at school. The tired fingers I had ended up adding a little flour, hello the dry bun, goodbye the good brioche!
Do not cook too soon, wait until it is “raised”, otherwise it will not be honeycombed and soft, but compact and heavy
Avoid drafts while the brioche is proofing.
Do not leave the yeast in contact with salt / sugar, weigh separately, otherwise it could ” burn” the brioche.
Tips & tricks:
- When your brioche is in shape, it freezes very well, you will then have to grow it when you want.
- Keep the brioche ( baked ) under a bell or a cloth to prevent it from drying out
- For a fresh brioche the next day, moisten the water and stir for a few minutes in the oven / toaster
- If the weather is very hot, it is recommended to knead by having put the flour, egg, butter, in the fridge before.
- You can add elements during kneading (zest, e fruit, pralin)
- If you do not have anywhere to raise your bun, put it in the oven, and put a saucepan with boiling water at the bottom of the oven. Otherwise, lightly bake the oven and place the brioche.
- For egg wash: make a mixture of egg yolk and milk and put it in a bottle type spray, this way you egg wash perfectly without risking damaging the Brioche raised 🙂
- Last tips, if you want fresh every morning: when your brioche is shape and frozen, I put the brioche at night on the tray with baking paper and in the over. The next morning the brioche is ready to bake.
So, I hope your “Brioche” will be perfect, that is the classic method that we learn at school and well make, it’s really something, specially eaten with the home-made spreadable paste !